DS9 Club - S02E08 - Necessary Evil

"They're not keeping him alive by artificial means, are they? My brother wouldn't want that." - Rom

@BeccaEller
@LadyZiyal
@GaalDornick

Comments

• Some quick thoughts to get us started:

• A solid episode, I'd say b+ (maybe an A- though only because I'm a total sucker for flashback episodes)
    • It's good to have an Odo as constable orison story, even if its incomplete and has some holes. I'm very disapointed we never get to see the 'Cardassian neck trick' in the series
    • The noir motifs work well.
    • Because Odo is so terse, it's nice to get some introspection as well. I also like that he thinks logs are stupid
    • Odo/Kira remains one of the stronger pairings in the series
    • I thought the performance by our 'villain' was pretty good
    • The core story mystery only moderately engaging, although the resolution was vry solid, and serves to add depth to Odo and Kira as individuals as well as their relationship
    • Rom starting to come into his own a bit. In addition to being funny, we start to the get the first signals that he might 'not be as stupid as he seems' as Odo observes. Took a big step towards the Rom he will be. 
    • Quark on the other  hand, remains Quark. What he lacks in dynamism as a character he makes up in Quark awesomeness. 

• OMG I totally forgot about this thread! Sorry @Joseph I didn't mean to drop you. I like the Noir aspect of this episode. Quark is great as his nefarious self. I'm rather surprised that Dukat gives Odo the time of day but I suppose that gives him a good out later if nothing works out. I love Kira's hair though I understand her character better with it being short. She isn't the type of person who would value dressy hair so a short, simply "run your hands through it and go" sytle makes more sense to me. 

Rom starts showing he isn't as dumb as we all have assumed which is a slow developing point. I really like how Deep Space 9 planted seeds early on in the seasons which became big deals later. It shows great story maturity. 

Anyway while this episode is one that I enjoy watching, it isn't one I think of often surprisingly. I'm not sure why but I never really come back to this one even though I like it...Sorry I don't have much more to say this time!