Fleur... I have a lot of feelings!

Am I the only one who loves Fleur? GoF is probably not my favorite thing she was in but even here I think she shows a fierceness that I admire. She is beautiful and that distracts people from noticing but she is a person who owns her space and I love that so much! Thought, feelings... am I crazy?

Comments

• I enjoyed the Fleur character for sure. I actually like both the book and movie versions of her. But because there seems to be an emphasis on her beauty, I forget that she's not just eye candy. She must be a pretty fierce wizard to be chosen to be the schools champion.

Also, I always crack up over the way the boys act around her because even if she weren't a part veela that is totally how awkward boys act around beautiful girls. Well ok, that's how I acted around them, LOL.
  • I love her even more in later books! She and Molly going toe to toe and figuring each other out is my absolute favorite thing! She is beautiful and I like that... good for her... but her self assurance is perfect and amazing! You know how much I love it when ladies own their space!
  • I love Fleur, especially because over the course of the book JKR challenges your initial assumption. I related so much with Hermione and her dismissal of Fleur for her looks (and related jealousy) and it shone a bright light on my own prejudices as Fleur developed into a strong, loyal, and self-possessed witch.

JKR may not be great at reminding us not to be judgmental about all physical aspects, but it was an important reminder that you can be smart and pretty.
  • (Not to spoil upcoming episodes of DMP, but I like Fleur a lot!)
  • edited January 16
    [Minor spoilers]

I like the Fleur character (particularly in later books), but not wild about the use to which she is put in GoF.

Things I like about Fleur in GoF:
    • Her dismissal of Harry at first is painful and charming at the same time
    • The playing on British fascination with French femininity 
    • The introduction of the concept of her veela grandmother (including in her wand)
    • The way I imagine her saying 'bouillabaisse' in my head
    Things I don't like about Fleur in GoF:

• At times she smacks of tokenism. 'Well there's four, so I guess one should be a girl, but we'll make sure not to give her any motive force in the plot and get her out of the way whenever convenient. Oh also, let's never show her actually doing anything magical."
    • The veela grandmother concept is massively under-delivered. In a book with a major theme around non-humans/part-humans/other races this one just manages to pass by as an aside. Why is it a huge deal that Hagrid is half-giant, but no one cares that Fleur is part-veela? What if this had come out on accident and it had led to questions about whether she was even eligible to compete in the tournament? There is so much more you could have done then somewhat irk Ollivander's sensibilities about preferred wand cores.  
    • Roger Davies?  Really? I mean come on. 

PS Hi Becca
  • I agree with all of your points Joseph! Also, hi back! I think it says something about Fleur that she is still amazing even given the massive story problems around her. You can’t keep a good character down!
  • Add me to the list of people that like Fleur as a character. She adds a nice amount of tension to GoF, HBP, and DH, even though she's barely in them.
  • It’s shocking to me that a character who gets so little screen/page time can have such an impact! *spoilers* her scene in the hospital with Molly is the most amazing thing ever! She stands her ground and she’s being so strong!!! Plus she’s totally attractive enough for both of them!
  • I can understand why they decided not to go with more Fleur in the movies, but I still wish she had more time on screen.
  • edited January 17
    It's no fault of the character, but she's often defined by being 'pretty and popular', neither of which resonated with me as a young girl reading this book. I always liked Hermione & Ginny so much more. 

I will say (in a way that's as spoiler-free as possible) - I did gain considerable respect for her after that one convo with Molly Weasley later on in the series. 
  • I totally agree, @Kendall! Fleur didn't do a thing for me until that conversation, and then she had my respect.
  • @Kendall it breaks my heard that she gets written off for being pretty. People, like Ogres, have layers. 
  • I completely agree with everyone here. My first reading I was with Hermione and Ginny and didn't like her at all. Pretty and popular girls held no appeal to my nerdy childhood self.

Now I love her quite a bit. She is pretty but it isn't the most interesting thing about her. I love her intelligence and self possession.

That confrontation with Molly is the best and really shows who she is as a person. I love the line "What do I care how he looks? I am good-looking enough for both of us, I theenk!" with my whole heart.

I love that she fell in love with Bill because he saw her as who she was, not just for her looks.

I think Fleur and her heritage opens up a lot of really interesting conversations.

• Yaaaas @HeroesandBards it makes me so sad that she is written off for being pretty, also it seems like she’s naturally pretty not that she makes herself up, the number of attractive people I know who are also incredibly smart and talented tells me you can be both!
  • I am so excited that we finally get to meet our other schools tomorrow!!! World building is fun!!!
  • What always confused me was her reaction in the second task. It seemed damaging to the idea of her being a champion but there could be explanations

but the 3rd year hogwarts students learnt to deal with grindylows - perhaps not in their favoured environment though...?
  • @Gregm88 I kind of assumed she reacted that way for plot specific reasons... somebody had to flop so that Harry could save somebody else’s treasure and win even though he didn’t really win. It’s another example of his exceptionalism, it does her a disservice and annoys me, but her reaction is to be magnanimous and kind and greatful so I’m super into that! Fleur is a good person who loves well! Her relationship with her sister and later Bill show us how big and unconditional her love is. We see her in the last book being fiercely protective of her created family and her husband. I’m absolutely in love with this lady!!! Fleur is my girl!!!
  • @Gregm88 I kind of assumed she reacted that way for plot specific reasons... somebody had to flop so that Harry could save somebody else’s treasure and win even though he didn’t really win. It’s another example of his exceptionalism, it does her a disservice and annoys me, but her reaction is to be magnanimous and kind and greatful so I’m super into that! Fleur is a good person who loves well! Her relationship with her sister and later Bill show us how big and unconditional her love is. We see her in the last book being fiercely protective of her created family and her husband. I’m absolutely in love with this lady!!! Fleur is my girl!!!
    Ok SPOILERS ahead (abandoning the attempt to be obtuse)

There are going to be people (and there is on the other thread) who are upset that she was the one that lost. And notably for how as it can be seen as overly femine 

That said the others needed to succeed for the respective plot points that followed

I am not convinced it could have been worked any other way

Additionally it is important that Harry attempt to save someone he does not know because it is the right thing to do

Also I think it is immensely to Fleur’s credit that she interprets the task and risk to her sister the same as Harry (or at least seems to). It shows her love for her family eclipses the cold logic of there not being in any real danger

For what it is worth a have a few questions . One is definitely one for the second task chapter : 

- What Hogwarts house do we think Fleur belongs in ?
    - What do we think Cedric would have done had he been in Harry’s position with three unclaimed hostages and no sign of anyone else coming?

• @Gregm88 If I had to guess based on my own feelings about Fleur I’d put her in Ravenclaw because I want to hang out with her! In all honesty she’s probably a Gryffindor. As far as Cedric goes I think he probably would have tried to save the others too. We see His kindness in the text and he’s just so dang Chivalrous and capital G GOOD! That’s just my opinion!!! What do you think?
  • @Gregm88 If I had to guess based on my own feelings about Fleur I’d put her in Ravenclaw because I want to hang out with her! In all honesty she’s probably a Gryffindor. As far as Cedric goes I think he probably would have tried to save the others too. We see His kindness in the text and he’s just so dang Chivalrous and capital G GOOD! That’s just my opinion!!! What do you think?
    I think in the context of the HP world she would be Gryffindor 

If we use DMP / PNM ideas (so excluding Gryffindor from the discussion) then I would say the traits she demonstrates places her more closely in Hufflepuff . But some argue that being protective of your own is a Slytherin thing . So perhaps that. 

As for Cedric I agree and think he would act like Harry. I didn’t state so originally as I was wondering whether it was Hufflepuff bias

But the house debate can be confusing because I have seen convincing arguments that it is more based on the traits you value (and are capable of) rather than just what most suits your actual character 
    (And that the American houses are more about what you are and then you can potentially get the choice)
  • @Gregm88 let’s face it there are some times when the houses make all the sense of a soup sandwich! I think there is something about Fleur that is distinctly Beaubattons so her Hogwarts house is probably all speculation anyway. 
  • I think Fleur would be a Gryffindoor too. I think she’s Gryffindoor in the same way that Hermione is. She is definitely the kind of person that yells fight me when someone disagrees with something she has strong feelings about. 
  • Thanks @HeroesandBards I felt kinda shakey on that answer! She’s just so hard to quantify!
  • Totally @BeccaEller I think part of that is that a lot of what we see from her, especially in GoF is her putting on a mask for ‘the public’. Being who/what she is must bring a lot of unwanted attention. I imagine one would have to cultivate a mask of carefull indifference. 
  • Absolutely @HeroesandBards we can’t see it in GoF in the same way but we learn that she has a fierce will and quite a thick skin. I’m also wondering if there is something about her that specifically attracts Weasley guys? Last night in the chat I suddenly realized the reason she and Bill belong together is that both of them see beyond the physical in each other. When Bill is injured later she names the traits she loves him for. Bill spends the series being a self made outcast and rebel but with Fleur he gets to be his real soft gentle Weasley self. Likewise, when she’s with Bill, Fleur can let down her mask and be domestic and silly and passionate in a way she never could have been otherwise. My gosh I just keep finding more reasons to love her!!!
  • I wonder if some of the bias toward Fleur has to do with Harry’s POV. He’s obviously a little affected by the Veela at the World Cup, where Fleur’s charms might be less perceptible. If Fleur is mapped to Ravenclaw, this is probably how Harry would interact with Hermoine if they were in different houses. 

Even the way he describes Krum as sliding, hunching, scowling. At the World Cup, he caught the snitch so the game ended on his terms. He obviously can’t be trusted, obviously. Krum is Slytherin ans Harry doesn’t get that house.

Cedric is a little more familiar and at least they share representation of Hogwarts. Probably because in the trio he is symbolically closer to Ron. They start apart and then slowly help each other out.
  • That makes sense @SailorMelissa I do enjoy Fleur more in other books so a lot of my yelling and screaming is my anticipation for her to break out. So much of this book is soooo much about Harry that it’s hard for everybody else to have full characters 
  • ...So much of this book is soooo much about Harry that it’s hard for everybody else to have full characters 
    And doesn’t that sound just like a teenager's view of the world?
  • Right!!!🤣 Oh my gosh it’s so true!!!